There are many different circumstances that can lead to a person having teeth that are misaligned. One of the reasons can be due to myofunctional habits. During childhood some individuals may have developed an oral habit that lead to misalignment of permanent teeth during their teens and adulthood.
Other reasons such as growth discrepancy between the upper and lower jaw can play a big role in misalignment as well as genetics.
When teeth are not in alignment, this can lead to many problems for the individual. Functionally, the person may have trouble when trying to eat or speak in rare cases it can lead to TMJ disorder. Additionally, there can be an esthetic impact. Teeth may not look as pleasant since the position of them is not ideal. When teeth are crowded or have too much spacing it could lead to periodontal disease. Periodontal disease can be attributed as a direct result of the difficulty to maintain hygiene with these teeth. When the teeth are not in alignment you may brush daily but you may miss some teeth that are tucked behind other teeth. The toothbrush will not get into tight spots and that’s where we need to try to floss. Over time when these areas are unintentionally neglected, and we begin to see inflamed gums, bleeding and bone loss, which is the overall progression from gingivitis to periodontal disease.
No matter how you may have acquired your misaligned teeth we here at Quality Dental are equipped to straighten them up. We offer new alternatives to movement such as Invisalign aligners and Clear Correct if you want to be discrete. We also offer traditional metal braces if you would prefer to move your teeth faster and have more control over minor tooth movements. Most orthodontic treatment ranges from 12-24 months and with innovative technology we can now cut treatment times in half. Propel and AOOO orthodontics help move teeth faster in 1 to 2 treatments.
The first appointment will be an initial consultation. Here we will take a single Panoramic Radiograph and evaluate your dentition to determine if you are a candidate for invisalign treatment.
2. After we determine if invisalign is the best choice for you, we will immediately begin your case by taking intra and extra-oral pictures. The pictures along with the silicone impressions and bite registration obtained will be sent to invisalign to fabricate your aligners.
3. In 2-3 weeks we will receive your personalized aligners. We will contact your to come to the office and we will try them for fit and your will be given instructions for usage and maintenance. You will need to wear your retainers for 20-22 hours per day for them to be most affective and only remove them for eating and drinking dark liquids as they may stain.
4. If you have a special even such as your wedding day you may remove your trays for short period of time For Example: The wedding ceremony and pictures J
5. During treatment you will need to stop by the office every 6 weeks so that we can track the movement of your teeth and deliver the next set of aligners. At these recall visits we may add attachments to teeth or modify the shape of some teeth as requested by invisalign to aid in the movement of your teeth.
6. Most cases can range from 6 to 24 months depending on the severity of the case and the time frame is discussed during the initial consultation so there are no surprises.